Thursday, August 6, 2009

city.

im in new york. it feels like a different world. its beautiful; a huge, noisy, bustling city surronded by woods. seriously the trees here are incredible. i went to a little park yesterday and was completely surronded and engulfed by these massive, delicious trees. and its humid. and i love it. today i drove in manhattan. one word... chaos. in cache valley people hardly honk. if someone does something stupid other drivers mostly ignore it unless their life or car is in immediate danger. here not so much. today i got honked at. for a long time. i had to remember that it wasn't a personal attack, only an attack on my failure to yeild to the pretty beemer speeding up behind me. anyways, it was crazy and slightly intimidating but i did it. oh, and apparently the taxi cabs aren't required to follow any of the rules and regulations everyone else does. they just kind of go where they want, when they want. the yellow and white lines mean nothing. parking was astronomically expensive. $15.00/hour. but i am home safe! one last observation, people here aren't friendly to strangers. i was at CVS picking up a few things and when i walked up to the counter i smiled at the clerk and he said, "thats the first smile of the day!" really?!! at 4pm? yup. happy to oblige sir. i like it here. already on the verdge of loving it here. especially the city.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm glad you are safe and sound now. Miss ya!

Just the 2 of Us! said...

So glad you love it. I've heard that New York is just like Buenos Aires. I could live in a big city. I loved everything about the big city. Chris and I have been planning a trip to New York for the longest time. I'll let you know so we can come see you. We will miss you but what a great experience lies ahead. Make the most of it, which I know you will. Take care.

Kenneth Chlarson said...

I can't say I am jealous I am pretty sure I would not like it there. But I am so glad you are liking it. Be safe there in the big city and smile at someone for me!

Kara & Levi said...

Nicki! What agency do you go through for all your nannying jobs??? My younger sis is interested....give me the details or email me. I'm glad you didn't get killed by the taxi drivers. I spent like 8 hours in NYC when I visited Levi in Virginia when he worked out there and I had the worst anxiety as we drove around Manhattan. It was awful! Our Protege made it so yours can too!!! HAHAHA

Ashley said...

i'm glad it's so wonderful. missing you dearly. hope to see you sometime in the next year? love you

RACHAEL said...

i am SO amp'd about this whole ntc in nyc situation right now. YOU GO GIRL.

Taunya Spaulding said...

NICKI!!!! I FOUND YOUR BLOG!!! I added you to my blog list-and feel free to look at mine anytime! if you want to add me to your list it's johnandtaun.blogspot.com!! I had no idea you were in new york! hope your having fun!!! be safe!