Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We're so that 70's show!

One day I threw a birthday party for Mckay {28!}.  It was a 70's Soul Train theme & I'd say it was a success.
Here's a quick recap:
What I did: 1. Ran around like a mad woman trying to get everything taken care of. The party was kind of last minute [invites on Thursday, party on Saturday night], and unfortunately I did not have a disco ball, helium tank, funny pants, disco music, or ugly colored balloons on hand. 2. Baked a cake & bought a purse, the purse was to offset the stress of baking/planning/executing/cleaning and all that. 3. Partied until 1am with awesome friends. 4. Left a really big mess at Mckay's house.
What I learned: 1. Don't inhale helium on an empty stomach. Or ever probably. It might cause you to get tinglies all over your body and fall to the floor/faint when you were trying to be funny and talk to boyfriend [over the phone] in helium induced squeaky voice. 2. The Hustle!!! Alli taught us, it's super easy and cool. Except when she tries to make Mckay and I do it together and I have to go opposite him and get so confused. 3. Party planning is kind of crazy but mostly the best.
Who I loved: 1. The birthday boy. 2. Alli and April who helped me so much in preparation. They were lifesavers and made party prep so fun and entertaining. 3. All the awesome guests who came dressed up in their 70's best. 4. All the guests who came dressed in their regular clothes. 5. My parents when they didn't get mad at an accidental phone call at 3am.
What we ate: 1. Carrot cake with dulce de leche frosting, thank you Joy the Baker. {He barely got all 28 candles blown out, it was a big job}. 2. April's yummy coconut bunt cake. 3. Trader Joe's ginger snaps & chocolate chip cookies, they were a disappointment.
What we watched: 1. 45 seconds of Saturday Night Fever. I thought it would be a great idea to rent it and watch the disco scenes and copy their sweet dance moves. So Mckay puts the DVD in, John Travolta is cruisin' down the street enters the dance club, all is well, we're eager to learn, and then... a lovely lady is dancing TOPLESS & a room full of party go-ers see it all. It was embarrassing/hilarious. We laughed. And then decided to forgo my great plan. 2. Random Soul Train clips on YouTube.
What I wore: 1. Ridiculous/wonderful/apple-heart "lounge pants" I found at my favorite antique store. Did people really dress like that? I will say, they were super comfy. 2. hoochie hoops so big I could wear them as bangles {not pictures because I felt like they were ripping my ears off}. 3. Themed parties are no small deal, we had awesome outfits all around. Josh's outfit {he's wearing the snug women's polka dot shirt} might have have been my favorite, and he had serious dance moves to boot.

9 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

sounds like fun!! :)

Paul and Em said...

I love this!! Sometimes I wish Paul and more time to do fun and embarrassing stuff with me. I'm counting on it when he's graduated! I'm glad you had fun. Happy Birthday Mckay!

Stacie Anderson said...

I love that the group picture looks like its from the 70's! How did you get the color like that? You are such a good girlfriend/party planner/friend/dresser.

Alysha said...

haha Love this. great theme/party/birthday boy!

Caroline Craven said...

It looks like you guys had a great party. Oh, to be young again.

Ferris Family said...

What a great party Nicki! you are he best last minute party planner ever...Go nicki. I love the disco era. Not the clothes so uch but the music. :)

Ashley said...

i love this ALL!!! so fun! i'm so jealous and sad i wasn't there to get down with my bad self. HA! i love you

Unknown said...

Nikki you are hilarious! I freaking love reading your blog!

The Snack that Smiles Back said...

Love love love you! The pants equal my favorite.You're writing is the best.