Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Days go by

Our first year absolutely FLEW by.  Our anniversary was on the 17th of September and during the days preceding it, I felt a sense of melancholy and nostalgia.  The sweetest, best year of our lives, thus far, over and done with?!  No, thank you.  We were laying in bed one night, about to fall asleep and I mentioned to Mckay that I was a little bit apprehensive about our anniversary.  I think he was perplexed (possibly just sleepy) so I (dutifully) went on to explain to him that OUR FIRST YEAR was OVER.  Ugh, I was not ready to say goodbye.  It was a... there isn't even a word for it... first year.

Eventually I came to terms with the situation.  And now that we're getting settled into "year 2" of this journey, things are still looking pretty good.  We decided to keep it low-key this year, just a romantic dinner in the city and then back home in PJ's for cuddle/movie time, those are my favorite nights.  And I know Mckay was looking forward to the sweatpants/sweatshirt look again.

Friday night came and we were ready to go to the temple.  Dressed up, temple bags, cut up pineapple for the drive, ready to go.  Don't worry that it took me an hour and a half to realize that we were actually not headed to the temple.  "Yes honey, you can get to the temple this way, there is bad traffic on the 95".

At 8pm Friday night we arrived at The Inn at Lake Joseph for a romantic, rustic, fabulous Autumn weekend anniversary getaway!  I was stunned.  He packed for me.  HE PACKED FOR ME?!!! A little hilarious, don't worry, I had 4 pair of jeans for the two days that we were away. 4 pair of jeans but no hairbrush.  But like he said, "It's really hard, there is just so much stuff!"

We spent the weekend riding bikes, lounging in hammocks, rowing on the gorgeous lake, watching the BYU game/studying while the BYU game was on, taking nature walks, and enjoying the beautiful scenery.  On Saturday night (our actual anniversary) we had dinner out at a yummy Italian restaurant.  Sunday, before heading back, we hit up the Woodstock Farmers Market for some fresh produce and homemade pesto, yum!

It was a chilly, wonderful, romantic, lazy, cozy weekend. 


 (No zooming on this picture, we took it with M's iPhone, so close huh? Pretty!)




I love him so.  Marrying Mckay was the best decision I ever made.  It's funny that I was so scared to make it (initially).  Now, looking back, I just think how silly I was to fuss over letting go of single life, or whatever my issue was.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  This past year has been more fun, adventurous, happy and silly than any other year of my life.  I learned and grew and stretched a lot and I like to think this "wife" role suits me.  I am so thankful that our lives crossed paths two years ago in Norwalk, Connecticut!

15 comments:

RACHAEL said...

As I was looking happily reading through this post, I got to the picture of your legs crossed and though... who is this man?! nicki is married?!!?!! I'm still getting used to it. I mean, I haven't ever even MET the man! But I like him... a weekend getaway?!!?! I love him! And you too :)

Todd and Elaine Henke said...

Oh so cute! I love that he packed for you!! Hahaha! I love that you totally had no idea too! I'm the worst at keeping secrets so good job to him!!! It is sad to have your 1st Anniversary-I agree.

Colleen Francia said...

I love this!!!!

Ashley said...

how have you NOT TOLD ME ABOUT THISSSS?!!!! it's SO PERFECT AND WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! ohhhhh! he packed for you! i love this so much. it's so perfect and splendid and happy in my heart. mckay's so great and i love you two so <3

Ashley said...

I just love your little life! It is so romantic and spontaneous. What a fun getaway.

I had to laugh though- I was looking at the picture of you on the bike and reading the caption "no zooming in on this picture, took it with McKay's iPhone, so close huh? Pretty!" and then I scrolled down and saw that you were actually talking about the picture of the deer! Ha ha! I guess what made it more funny to me was that it was a rear shot of you on the bike!

Oh man! Love ya!

Unknown said...

Nicki you are the cutest thing in the world! I'm so glad you guys had a great time! I love how you write and your blog entirely. =)

Linzvor said...

I'm with your friend Ashley above. I also thought the caption was referring to you on the bike. Funny!

What a wonderful/relaxing/perfect trip! How can you not come home feeling happier :]

Congrats to ONE year!!

Caroline Craven said...

Well, now I don't feel to dumb thinking the "no zooming on this picture . . ." was all about your butt on the bike. I was totally confused on that wondering if you really were proud of your tush or if you were being sarcastic! So close huh? Pretty! I also thought you were telling all of us blog stalkers that we couldn't zoom in on your butt for a better look. What is going on in my head?!!? Pretty sweet that he planned this weekend, AND PACKED for you. Amazing that all he forgot was your hair brush. 15 days and counting!

Taunya Spaulding said...

happy anniversary! the years really do go by fast! what a fun little getaway! :)

Just the 2 of Us! said...

Happy Anniversary! I love little adventures on a whim! By the way, things only get better after the first year!!

Kristin and Mike Jenson said...

It's so lovely to be in love. Happy Anniversary to the two of you!

Unknown said...

Happy one year

Shey said...

I like this post. So sweet. 4 pairs of jeans. I told Dust and he said, "He probably just didn't know which one's she'd want." Cute boys.

Stacie Anderson said...

So fun! You guys are great.

Mandy said...

Um, are you two the cutest???? Happy anniversary!