Saturday, October 6, 2012

the weekend of football

We went on a little trip South last weekend- to beautiful Virginia.  Mckay went to college at Southern Virginia University after two years at BYU & absolutely loved it.  He played football there and every year since I have known him he goes back down in September for Homecoming.  This year it wasn't Homecoming but the 5 year anniversary of the 2007 (his last year of football) football team's winning season (one and only).  So we left Thursday night to make our way to Buena Vista (& the people there pronounce is Bu-nah, which is funny to me).  

 Craven love!  
We stopped in Baltimore Thursday night for the Raven's game.  My first pro football game (his 2nd) & it was pretty neat.  We went for a couple of reasons.  #1 because I love Ray Lewis.  Mostly because he gets emotional during the National Anthem and then when he's done he's back to looking like the scariest man alive.  But he's obviously a sweetheart.  #2 because I am married to a Dunn, the Dunn men love football.  #3 We didn't want to drive the full 7 hours in one night (that wasn't really a reason). 
 The annual golf tournament in BV.
 What I did during the annual golf tournament.  Hid out in SVU' stuck-in-the-70's quiet room of the tiny library.  It served me all too well for five hours of COPD & acute respiratory distress syndrome.  
 The Banquet.  Too many speakers, and lacking a highlight film, but still lovely.  He played with some really great, stand-up guys.  It was fun to meet new ones, and spend time with friends.  Mckay and I had very different college experiences-- as in, he is super enthusiastic and loyal to his.  There's a lot of camaraderie and devotion to their school & the team.  
 The lovely Jill Lund who Mckay absolutely adores.  He was good friends with her daughter while he was at school and was always hanging out with all the other guys at their house.  She makes his favorite cake ever (besides anything I make, of course) Molly Cake and every time we go she has it waiting for him.  It's the sweetest thing. 
 The 2007 team was honored during half time.  Don't know why I wasted picture space on the cheerleaders (barf) when I could have captured more of the team.  Oh well.  They gave a little highlight on each player-  my proud wife moment of the weekend.  Mckay holds all the WR records at that school.  I didn't even know.  

& our weekend wouldn't have been the same with out the Whetstone's (Chelsea is the Lund's daughter) and their hospitality.  I had grits for the first time -they were made with cream cheese and... other fattening things, and they were dangerously tasty.  Chelsea cooked us a wonderful breakfast and their daughter Maggie provided us with hours on entertainment.  She is probably the happiest baby I've ever met, even though she doesn't look it in the picture!  So content to just do whatever the adults were doing.  

Go knights!

5 comments:

Kristin and Mike Jenson said...

So fun that you were able to go back and take that walk down memory lane with him. Sounds like a great weekend!!

Lauren and Taylor said...

Aw man, I miss Virginia! I'm glad you guys were able to go out there.

Linzvor said...

Oh Nicki, you are a much better football wife than I :) I can only take so much...and then I whine. Shoot.

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a fun weekend, despite all the studying you had to do. It took me awhile to figure out was WR was!!! Can you believe it? Probably. I just scrolled down a bit and looked at your picture on your wedding day. Your dress really was beautiful - I love it, so pretty.

Unknown said...

Oh, me again. I love Maggie's chubby little arm and hand in the picture where Mckay is holding her, and -- you shouldn't be so hard on cheerleaders, there are a few exes in the fam.