Saturday, June 1, 2013

On pregnancy

Today I am 15 weeks pregnant, and what an accomplishment that feels like!

We found out we (correction: I. Mckay's pet peeve is when husbands and wives are both pregnant. But I think he's learning that husbands and wives are both pregnant) were pregnant on a Saturday in March. It was the best. We cried and were giddy and kind of just sat there for about an hour with these feelings of awe pouring out of us, it felt surreal and exciting and wonderful and strange.  

Then around six weeks I started to feel some mild nausea. It was uncomfortable but bearable, and not really an inconvenience.  In all my primi-gravida naivety I thought, "This isn't awesome, but totally manageable.  I can totally do this, and do it with a good attitude." And then week 7 hit. And all of a sudden I actually kind of wanted to be put out of misery. I was intensely nauseous all the live-long day. And around week 9 I started throwing up, and getting even sicker at night. All this while somehow managing to keep my eyeballs above the shark infested waters of nursing school.

Everything went to the dogs. My house especially took a beating. It was disgusting. Mckay was in massive amounts of trouble when he actually invited our home teachers over immediately after church one Sunday to a home that looked like wild hyenas had made camp. This wasn't just my-house-is-fairly-clean-but-I'll apologize-and-pretend-it's-disgusting-because- it's-normally-sparkling-and-aromatherapy-ized, this was dirty clothes strewn about, moving boxes, piles of junk, food on the floor, dishes in the sink dirty. It was so bad they actually excused themselves for a minute so we could "tidy up" and I could try and cool my burning red cheeks. 

I didn't cook. I didn't clean. I literally did not grocery shop for over six weeks. I went to class (sometimes) and then came home and got right into bed and Mckay would bring me food that I would try and eat (in bed) and then I'd fall asleep. Or cry and then fall asleep. Or watch "Call the Midwife" and fall asleep.

It really felt like it would never end. As horrible as this is to admit, some days it was incredibly difficult to be happy & grateful. Some days I wondered what the heck we'd been thinking.  Other days were so sweet and even through the nausea and misery there were only tender feelings and happy emotions- like when Mckay would be speeding down I-95 and then hit the breaksand say, "Woah, I better slow down, I'm gonna be a Dad!" or when he'd talk to our little blueberry sized embryo through my softening tummy. Or one morning when my Mom sent us our first teeny-tiny baby outfit with little elephants on it and I thought my heart would burst. 

The weeks slowly but eventually passed, the nausea lifted, and pregnancy amnesia set in because now I think this whole things is practically perfect in every way.

I even did (ahem, attempted) a prenatal yoga video today... and the deep breathing at the beginning felt so good and relaxing that it made me sleepy and then I had to do some pose where my hands were reaching up and I'm squatting down (awkward tree?) and I was like this.is.not.relaxing.only.uncomfortable. So 7 minutes into it I quit and took a nap. But I gave myself a break because I haven't done a stitch of exercise since becoming pregnant. That's on my to-do list. I also threw my only organic, increased fruits & veggies, lean protein, no sugar/white flour pre-pregnancy, pregnancy diet idea out the window reaaaal quick. Because when only grilled cheese sandwiches and watermelon sound good, I only eat grilled cheese sandwiches and watermelon. 

Ch-ch-ch-changes:

There's actually a bitty-bump now which I kind of love.  
I'm still waiting on the super-thick gorgeous hair that is rumored to come, so far I haven't been the recipient of that pregnancy blessing. 
Ever increasing bust size. Some call it curse but I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Fatigue that hits like a ton of bricks (especially when I attempt yoga or house cleaning or reading).
Some pimples, which are as unwelcome now as they were at 15.
Aversions; no salteens, Crest toothepaste, gingerale, teddy grahams or spinach ever again please.  

Things are good. We {three} are very happy.



Our beautiful, talented and smart child at 9 weeks. Look at those cute arm buds!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Welcome to Motherhood. :) We are so excited for you!!!!

Linzvor said...

So happy for you guys! This made my eyes well up a teeny bit. So sorry you're not feeling well, but isn't it amazing what's going on in your body?! Such a miracle. And I say give into your cravings, you have a legit reason to. At least one of your cravings is a fruit :) Can't wait to hear/read more!!!!!

Kristin and Mike Jenson said...

SO sweet. I especially love hearing about how McKay is taking to new found fatherhood. So sweet.

Lauren and Taylor said...

I liked reading this. I'm sorry that you've had such a rough time, but glad that you are feeling a lot better now. You brought in a lot of humor to this post and I enjoyed reading about what you are up to. Congratulations on finishing Nursing school!

Sydney C. said...

So excited for you! This post just made get happy butterflies for you guys! You are going to be the most adorable sweetest mother ever!

Shell said...

I love this post so much. I can just hear your voice through your writing and it felt like you were telling me all of that at Book and Cook club in person. I miss you guys so much and am just so happy for you!! I'm so glad you're feeling better. The beginning can be so hard, but I am so glad you are already forgetting and that you are loving the increase in bust size! Love ya, Nicki!

Unknown said...

This is so fabulous!!! I loved every word of this post! So glad you have given us all the details. :) I'm glad you are starting to feel better! Gee whiz, nausea is the utmost WORST FEELING EVER! Those weeks where you were so sick and in the middle of finishing nursing school must have been shell!!!!!! (i don't know... it just came out) I'm so glad you survived. And I agree with "..." you are going to be the most adorable sweetest mother ever!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

doodle said...

What an adorable post. The feelings are so thrilling and exciting. I love that you are loving the details of it. And I'm sorry for all the sick days. You are strong and brave and so sweet and great. So excited for you three!

Nolan and Erica said...

I'm about 20 weeks and you just described my pregnancy to a T. I was so sick until about three days ago, haven't exercised, have ugly zits all over, and have put on about 20 pounds (which might I mention I was finally back down to my normal pre-marriage weight!!!) So I feel ya girl. Hope you are feeling better! And congrats on finishing nursing school!! Nolan and I kept thinking, why on EARTH would we decide to get pregnant when we are both in school?! Who knows? I guess God has a different plan for us than we had!

Tiffany said...

ugh, morning sickness is the worst! you can't even understand it until you experience it for yourself. I have waited so long for this pregnancy of mine that I swore to myself I would never complain about being pregnant and as soon as the nausea hit that rule went right out the window. Sometimes its hard to feel happy and grateful when you feel that crappy and yucky. But the good thing is, it doesn't last forever. I'm glad you are feeling better...why do I always write the longest comments ever??