Monday, February 1, 2010

a few things

valentine's day is my favorite holiday. {ok, besides christmas}. i love that it's a celebration of love! usually my blog is pretty plain jane, but with vday coming my excitement has spilled over onto my background. this month is adorned with love birds and sweet sentiments, best. why vday rocks my socks: it's a holiday everyone can celebrate. seriously, everyone has the capacity to love. growing up my mom always made a big deal out of it. not just for my dad, but for her kids. we always got sweet cards and little gifts. it made me feel so special and loved. when i was 13 my dad gave me a red carnation {bleck}, it was the sweetest. heart decor. flowers and chocolate. even if you have to buy them for yourself. my mom makes heart shaped chocolate biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream, i've missed them the last few years but last vday i made them with my roommates. even if you don't have a "significant other" the list is a mile long of people and relationships and love that can be celebrated. those people who say it's just a hallmark holiday and commercialized etc. etc. etc., pish-posh. every holiday is commercialized. embrace it.

also, had a great weekend. saturday i had brunch with my dear friend allison at alice's tea cup. It's an alice in wonderland-themed restaurant/tea room. The food is great and it's just so dreamy and whimsical. We saw a little girl there with her daddy {sweetest}, she got sprinkled with fairy dust and was so thrilled. it warmed my heart. after brunch we flea market shopped in the 15 degree weather, ouch cold. but i scored a lovely vintage clutch.

that night i made dinner for my honey. let me just share this super easy and impressive recipe. spaghetti squash with sage and walnuts: cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds & season with 1/4 t. each S&P. place 1T. butter and two sage leaves in hallowed-out core of each half. bake the squash at 400 degrees for about 1 hour, or until soft. remove and let cool. scrape the meat from the skin using a fork and set aside. in a large sauce pan over med-heat melt 3T. butter. once melted, add 1/2 c. chopped walnuts. toast the nuts and allow the butter to to bubble {about 1 min.}. add 15 fresh sage leaves. when they release their aroma and begin to crackle {about 1 min.} add the squash and stir to coat with butter and warm. season with more S&P serve with fresh parm. lastly, i've gotten a little hooked on the bachelor. i blame a few people. my cousin ashley because she posted about the girls on her blog and made me curious, my friend ashley because she started watching it on hulu and inspired me to do the same, and living 40 minutes away from my church because now that i'm caught up it's just so much more convenient to sit home on monday night and watch it rather than driving to connecticut for fhe. i'm pulling for tenley. she's so sweet.

xo, nic.

9 comments:

Regan Leigh said...

i adore it. i adore YOU. happy valentines day in two weeks. it is the best. who can even blame you for loving the bachelor? way better than the bachelorette.

i love you!


-chew like you have a secret!- best:)

Caroline Craven said...

Regan's comments always make me laugh. What the heck does "chew like you have a secret" even mean. Valentine's day is also one of my favorite holidays and I plan cute things I can do for vday all the time. Problem comes in execution. If you knew what I was thinking of doing, the actual things I do would seem pretty lame. But I am glad you appreciated it!!! I'm thinking I may do something different this year, besides the chocolate biscuits with w/c and strawberries.

Shey said...

Nicki. I'm so glad we have blogs to converse to each other on. It makes me happy to hear from you! Valentines Day senior year, I'm glad you still treasure it too. That was a way fun one! I love all the pictures we have from it...well I have lots, do you have any? If not I may need to post them. So funny fact, the little bird cages on the sides of this blog...we got some for our wedding, they looked similar to these but we pretended they were like Cinderella carriages kind of and hung them in the tree above us for our wedding line. Then we stuck little tea lights in them. I was so excited when I saw these! And, Alices tea cup sounds like a place I would love! that's SO fun! I want to go there! It made me want to make my own little shop!(but with Cinderella) Wouldn't that be SO fun?! I'm glad things are going good with you and the boy. As soon as my cooking blog us up and running, I'll let you know! ;)

Ashley said...

I love Valentines Day too. Your new background is really cute. I will have to add this link to my sidebar :) I am going to have to try that recipe. Alice's tea cup sounds magical and now I want in on the fun. I'll have to take Hallie on a little trip just to see it! Isn't the Bachelor great. He needs to get rid of Vienna though. I'm pulling for Tenley now too ;)

The Snack that Smiles Back said...

Dear Nicki- I love that you have become more in love with LoveDay than myself, and I'm the hopeless romantic in this relationship. I'm going to try your recipe and envy allison for being able to go to Alice's teacup with you. One day I will come back . Love you

Just the 2 of Us! said...

You bachelor lovers won't be happy with the result. Someone squeaked the results. I'll keep them to myself though. Nic so glad you love Valentines day too. It's one of my fav's. Love ya and hope to get to see you in May.

Ashley said...

are you the FUNNIEST with your cute bird [luhv] background?!!! you are the best!!!! i loved this post so much with all the love. i'm so glad your into bachelor now!! i love Gia, she's the most beautiful and so sweet but scott and I have it narrowed down to Gia, Tenley and Ali, even though is kind of a (bad word) anymore. I still kinda like her. anywho i love youuuu!!!! and this post <3 <3

bishopfamily said...

Me too, Me too. Tenly is my favorite. I need to get caught up though! Anyway this is your cousin! Love ya

RACHAEL said...

this post just made me grin a little [a lot]. &i'm so overjoyed by your NEW BLOG MAKEOVER THAT YOU <3. i'm convinced i'd watched the bachelor if i had cable or internet. i would probably be pulling for tenley too. ashley is funny too (above).

love youuuuu miss. boo!