Monday, May 9, 2011

Treasures and trinkets.

While my poor and dedicated husband studied his brain to mush this weekend (love him so much), I hit the tag sales that are starting to pop up along with the spring flowers.  Tag sale= yard sale, rummage sale, attic sale, garage sale. I don't know why people out here call it that, but they do.  Saturday morning I called my friend Megan and she willingly came along with me to scour the GINORMOUS tag sale that a local Episcopalian church puts on every year.  I am so thankful that sweet Mckay knew I would be heartbroken if I missed an event such as this, and felt obligated to tell me about it & shew me out the door that morning.
This was a huge deal.  It was a tag sale/best BBQ ever/carnival event.  I had my first brisket... do I call it brisket or a brisket sandwich? I hardly know. All I know is that spectacular meat topped with homemade BBQ sauce and raw onions had me on cloud 9.  I raved about it all day long.  And the next day.  And right now my mouth is watering thinking about it.  I want to try to make it, but I'm scared that mine will sorely disappoint.

Gorgeous shelf: $10. 
I've convinced myself it came from a Quaker kitchen... or Martha Washington's... or any other historically rich and aged place.  It's so beautiful.  The wood is so dark and sturdy and I am obsessed with it. Manly Mckay hung it in our kitchen for me yesterday and I was enamored.  With him too. 
Green bottle: 50 cents. Love that little gem.

Books: $1 each!
The Three Musketeers is a classic and hello beautiful cover! Couldn't pass that one up.  The middle book, Abigail Adams caught my eye because she absolutely fascinates me.  They say she was her husband's equal in intelligence.  I love that, I am so excited to read it.  As I skimmed it, I gathered that it is a biography but written somewhat as a novel.  It was published in 1947, cool!  War and Peace, although I am scared of this undertaking, has been on my "to-read" list for quite sometime.  I also got East of Eden and Mr. Pettigrew's Last Stand -but they were normal, newer books so they didn't get to be in the picture.

Brass candlesticks: $4.
They are heavy and I love them.  I'm not sure about the color but we'll see what happens to these beauties.

Maggie London cornflower blue vintage dress: $5.
My heart! I hardly have words for this dress.  Except when I tried it on I immediately thought of both my Grandmothers and then 113 (my college apartment and all the memories, girls & happiness that go with it, lovingly referred to as "113" by former occupants).  Once that happened there was no going back.


2 twin sized vintage silk coverlets dated 1940's: $20. 
This one may have been a splurge and a little premature.  Because we don't have twin beds.  Or little girls to fill them.  But I just couldn't pass them up, 100% silk!!! I bought them and I'm hoping that even if I store them and carry them around with me for a few years, I won't regret it.  I know I'll turn them into something beautiful one day, right? Nursery curtains?  Baby dresses?  Crib skirt?  Other ideas?  I really don't know.  But I love them. 

It was a great weekend, I am thankful for Spring and simple pleasures, and screaming good deals.
I even made my first successful (there were previous flops) Sunday pot roast!  I was proud.  Probably worked because it was Mother's Day and I couldn't be shaming me Mum.

11 comments:

doodle said...

OH my heck! SO jealous. I Love love love love yard saling. I can't WAIT to go this summer!! That's so fun! Fun finds!You go lady! Also, love how you said he'd understand you being heartbroken..haha..I so know that feeling of longing to go to a fabulous yard sale...they are hard to pass up!

Paul and Em said...

You are so cute! I wish I could have been there to do some vintage shopping with you. I'm super jealous!

Stephanie said...

I want to Tag Sale with you!!!!! Looks like fun, glad you found so many awesome things!

Ashley said...

I am way jealous of your fabulous finds too! I love yard sales. It is still a little chilly for me to be out and going to them. I especially love your dress and the candlesticks. So cute!

Caroline Craven said...

You're in the perfect place for tag sales. Hang on to those silk sheets and maybe don't cut them up until you know for sure what you want to do with them. I'd hate for you to have regrets about cutting into them. Love the dress too. It is so "you". 10 days and counting!!!

Lindsey said...

Is it bad if I say one of the top ten things I miss about being out there is the rummage sales (possibly top 5 if I lump all our friends into one #). I went out here, and trust me when I say I would have NEVER tried on anything I found...everything was so gross and overpriced : ( I do miss my East Coastians who take care of everything and sale pristine items for a few bucks!

Unknown said...

I can't find words to say how much i love that dress, and even more how much i love it on you. Mamma mia. Mi piace tantissimo. Love the books too, the three muskateers is by Alexander Dumas who wrote my favorite novel. love them.

Love you

megan

oh, and you won't regret the silk things, i think.

Megan and Braden Edwards said...

mmm brisket...I am salivating just looking at that picture!

Linzvor said...

That dress looks so good on you!

I love ALL of your new items :]

Kara & Levi said...

Nicki, Are you making an announcement to all??? :)

Kell and Lindsay said...

You are the cutest! Can I pay you to come and decorate my house. You are a natural interior designer (also referring to your last post). You might just be disgusted to see our house...Walmart shelves, Kell's kitchen table from when he was a kid, plastic folding chairs at the kitchen table, loveseat from my house from before I was born! I need some savvy shopping skills like you.