Friday, March 5, 2010

Veintiuno!

Tuesday, March 2nd.
This is how my day started:
"Knock, Knock!" {So loud in my dreamy state}. I jump out of bed, a little shaken, to open a door. I'm not sure which one... I'm still half asleep... but someone is knocking on something. Not the bedroom door, not the living room door. Must be the UPS guy {at 7:30am?}. Nope, it's just Mckay, at my front door so handsome in his work clothes. What is he holding in his hands? Breakfast. For me. Because I am the birthday girl. OH MY. My eyes took a little bit to adjust slash open all the way. I'm sure he was a little nervous, or at least amused, at the disheveled & scary sight of me. We crawled into bed and had a yummy breakfast together. Then we snuggled before he drove back to work. That was probably the best part of my day. Trying not to be too mushy... but seriously, can you blame a girl?
After breakfast, I had a pretty easy day as far as work goes. Kelly and Ariana went to the Cheesecake factory and brought home some coconut cheesecake {favorite!} I even got to blow out 3 candles, with Ariana's help. I opened some presents from the Akrams and we all ate cheesecake together. It was really sweet. Ariana sang part of the "happy birthday song" to me, until the candles and "cupcakes" were too distracting to focus any longer. Please note my delectable, glitzy TOMS. Thanks Mama!

Birthday dinner at PF Chang's that night, the Mongolian Beef is to die for. Friends came and we laughed and stuffed ourselves and read fortunes. {Happier days are definitely ahead of you}
At dinner my friend Ethan asked me, "What are you going to accomplish this year? What new and exciting things will you do?" Food for thought. Maybe I'll bungee jump, or traipse around Europe, or go white water rafting. Maybe I'll bake a creme brulee all by myself, or finish a Sudoku, or send a love note in the mail. Those would all be new and exciting, stay tuned!
After dinner Alli had us all over to her house for cake and presents and games. Alli and Lindsay made me my special birthday cake and you better believe all 21 of those candles were extinguished on the first try... I really want my wish.

And don't worry that I now own every single episode of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman EVER MADE {YESSS!}, am going to Ingrid Michaelson's concert, and have a little bit of greenery to spend on a new JCrew swimsuit. Birthdays rock.

Credit where credit is due: The ones I love for making it such a perfect day. XO!

8 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

Happy birthday!! 21 is a fun age! looks like you had a lot of fun and got some good surprises! :)

Ashley said...

Happy birthday! Hallie is sitting here with me and she asked me: "who dat?" (pointing to you). I told her it was our cousin Nicki and she said so innocently, "Oh, Mickey Mouse?" :)

What sweethearts you have as friends, especially Mckay, what a cutie pants!

Love you.

bishopfamily said...

Happy belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a lot of fun! Your boy sounds really sweet, and I am glad that you have such great friends that take care of you!

Bj said...

Happy birthday!!! sounds like such a sweet day!

Allison Fife said...

such a fun night! thanks for turning 21 nicki dearest :)

Caroline Craven said...

Finally, I've been waiting for this post. I'm so glad you have friends who made your day so special. It looks like you had fun. Special cudos to Alli and Lindsey for making your special recipe birthday cake. I know you loved that! McKay was sweet to make that huge-effort birthday breakfast in bed. He earned some serious points there!

Ashley said...

i'm jealous i didn't get to spend it with you too. hmm... can i see you soon? it sounds like it was a wonderful birthday and i'm so glad. mckay is the cutest (really). i love you

Paul and Em said...

Happy Birthday Nikki I'm sorry I missed it! I'm glad you found me:)! I have enjoyed reading your blog.