Tuesday, February 22, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird

I read this book in ninth grade.  Most of the class thought it was boring, long and painful.  There were a handful of us who loved it.  I reserved it a spot on my "top ten" book list for years.  In Nicki fashion, I never went back to it, there are always a million books on my "to read" list so I don't retrace steps.  Then my dear friend Ali sent it to me for my birthday last year with a note declaring me un-American for not owning it.  So I thought I better bump it to the top.

Last week I opened it and  could not put it downIt was incredible. 

As a fourteen year old girl, I did not realize how profound this book is--profound and heavy and dark and saddening.  The wonderful thing is, it doesn't ever leave you with sad or depressed feelings!  That is because it is narrated through the eyes of a child, it's innocent and happy and carefree.  In ninth grade I thought it was a book about Scout and Jem and their childhood adventures in Maycomb, Alabama.  When I read it again (but with a different perspective) it became a story of racism, oppression and sickening injustice.  The horror of that time swirled around Atticus Finch's family as he heroically navigated his children through troubled waters with astounding courage and integrity.  Harper Lee is brilliant and I am so glad I chose to read this gem again! 

Oh, and the book made me giggle and smile all week.

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." (Atticus Finch)







{READ IT!}
OH, and Ali and I both want to name a child Atticus now.  Well, mostly her, because Mckay would veto it.  But she is going to find a man who will embrace it.

10 comments:

Sara Bosler Castro said...

I love that book, too! It's definitely a favorite. I've been told its the only book Harper Lee wrote, which to me makes it even more meaningful. It was everything important she felt the world should hear. Classic.

Unknown said...

NICKI!! I LOVE THIS BOOK. I have read it a few times, my love began when my grandma called me un-American for not having heard of it when I was 10. She rented the black and white movie. Then I read it again and again. I have been in love with Atticus Finch ever since. I really love him. I wanted to name a kid Scout, but Demi Moore took that one.

Unknown said...

My wife should be one of those people who gets to write their opinions on the back covers of books. So eloquent is she. And I'm not opposed to the name Atticus, actually. What about Harper? ;)

Shey said...

It could happen! A girl in one of my classes has a baby boy named Atticus.

Taunya Spaulding said...

i remember reading that in high school, too! it is actually on tv right now and i'm watching it! i'd love to read it again cuz sadly i was one of those people who thought it was boring! :)

Ashley said...

Embarrassed to admit but I have never read the book.

Just the 2 of Us! said...

Nic, one of my fav's. I always loved the book and the movie. Glad you picked it up again and read it. I have decided there was a purpose in having us read all those books in school :) I've read several since.

Caroline Craven said...

Maybe I should read it again, but like you, I think there are so many other books out there to read, who has time to re-read? But again, some books are worth it.

RACHAEL said...

i'm DEF going to read that. maybe on the cruiiise:)

Anonymous said...

Caroline....you have to re-read it! It's worth it. It is pure scripture to me. ---Ali :)