Mckay isn't a huge fan of pies (barring his Mom's pecan and pumpkin ones)... actually he's not a huge fan of any fruit + dessert combination. Which is really disappointing to me sometimes. For him its cookies, cookie bars, cakes, ice cream, brownies... that makes him happy. But I love tarts and pies and sorbets and crumbles. I decided I wanted to try and win him over to my side by making a delicious pie. I chose strawberry, his favorite berry, to up my chances of him liking it. Then a few girlfriends told me, "it has to be strawberry rhubarb". So not even knowing what rhubarb looked like, I went off to the grocery to find some. If you're naive like me, it's basically over-sized, sour, pink celery.
I found this recipe & it turned out beautifully. I didn't use her pie crust recipe, only the filling. This picture is my pie before it's baked. I opted out of a top crust & just did crumble instead, which was fantastic to have the super sweet crunch top with the juicy-tart filling. There is no after picture because we devoured it. 1 pie, 2 people, 24 hours and it was GONE. That is sad, but it was irresistible.
I've always been a coconut cream pie kind of girl; now I have completely reconsidered my allegiance.
& those beautiful hydrangeas were borrowed/stolen from the "gardens" of a medical office building on my street. Hydrangeas have been in bloom all over these parts and I love them. In a moment of covetous weakness, I decided I would steal. I figured a medical office building was a much less offensive choice than a random neighboring house. And they had 20+ bushes anyway... aren't they lovely? I loved the bushes that were pink & purple on the same blossoms! Flowers in my kitchen are one of my most favorite things.
5 comments:
that looks so yummy &divine. i'm so glad you gobbled it up in 24 hours. scott &i do that all the time, don't be ashamed :) and i'm so glad you picked flowers. they're hardly the medical building's! they're NATURES! :)
I am totally with McKay on the treats. If it isn't chocolate and doesn't have chewy-buttery goodness, than I will eat it, but I won't feel blissful satisfaction. Looks great though! I love the "I made that" feeling. xoxoxo
yum! wish you were going to the reunion! we'll miss you!
Oh yum! That made me miss grandma and the rhubarb from her garden. Strawberry + rhubarb is a heavenly combination. The flowers give it just the right touch ;)
The pie looks beautiful and I bet it tasted great. However, I was most interested in the justification of the last paragraph. Didn't we teach you that stealing was stealing, period??? Shame on you!(Not a scolding, just a chiding).
Post a Comment