This afternoon was sad for me, I dropped my Mom off at La Guardia airport and after six super wonderful days here in New York, she's back to Utah. She cried. I cried. I drove off and cried some more. I'm such a baby. I'm such my Mother's daughter. We decided that it was better to leave wanting more than to be on the last nerve and ready for vacation to end...
Having said that, I wanted to post about the fun things we did while she was here.
Thursday 4.15.10, Day 1:
She flew in to NYC late Wednesday night; Mckay and I picked her up, ate some greasy Chinese food {it was good} and called it a night. We were "so exhausted" but once we got into bed I think we ended up talking for about an hour before we actually fell asleep. The next morning we got up and she met everyone, Ariana went to school, and then her and I went out for a walk around my neighborhood. We walked forever and couldn't stop gawking at all the pretty homes around here. "Oh! Look at that one. That one is my favorite!", "No that one, that one is my favorite", "I think I actually like that one more". That was her, and me a little bit too, for over an hour. We talked about other secret things too. Girl talk is the best-especially in the sunshine.
After we went home and cleaned up we picked Ariana up from school and went to a cute retro cafe called "The Cupcake Kitchen". We had yummy arugula salads and grilled chicken sandwiches. Ariana was delighted to pick out a cupcake for us all to share. After lunch we went to an Antique store that I love in Tarrytown, doesn't that just sound like a place you want to live? Tarrytown. No buys, just a bunch of cute nic-nacs to peruse.
We had a low-key day Thursday, but it was really nice. We spent the rest of the evening at home and had dinner with Kelly and Munir. Mom got to try authentic Pakistani food and loved it. Kashmiri Chicken and Shami Kababs might be her new favorites... I wish I had pictures of that. She couldn't get over how "pretty" the food was & now has a new found desire to cook lentils and lamb and other random Middle Eastern dishes.
Day 1 was perfect, stay tuned for Day 2...

2 comments:
this is sooo sweet. makes me want my mom to visit! it would be just a LITTLE different if we went on a walk around my neighborhood...
I didn't take any pictures of the food I ate. How can that be after all the fuss I made about how boring American cuisine (using that term loosely) is? Reading your blog is fun and makes me remember the nice morning walks in the lovely neighborhoods.
Post a Comment