A few weeks ago, when we were planning our holiday, Mckay volunteered to plan Christmas Eve for us. On Thursday night (the night before Christmas Eve) he said he had a present for me. I unwrapped my 2011 planner, and was a little confused, until tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular slipped out! So Christmas Eve we spent most of the day in New York City.
We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but it was honestly one of the best shows I've seen out here. The Rockettes are amazing & so entertaining. About half way through the show I thought to myself, "This is really fun but it's sad that no one focuses on Christ at Christmas time anymore." Right after I thought that, the curtain opened to a scene of a family reading the Christmas story out of the bible together. For real. The next thing I know they are reenacting the entire Christmas story (angels, shepherds with live sheep, wise men with live camels, Mary, baby Jesus... the whole nine yards) to beautiful, traditional Christmas music. It was so touching and I was pleasantly surprised. It's good to know that even in NYC Christmas is still celebrated as the Christian holiday it is, not just the commercialized frenzy it sometimes becomes.
After the show ended, Mckay told me that he'd found us a French restaurant to eat at. Boy, did he find us a French restaurant to eat at. La Bonne Soupe is now on my favorite list. I had the onion soup (Americans read: French onion soup!) & it was absolutely divine. I cannot convey how cute and perfect this place was. Everyone around us was speaking French, & we needed a little help navigating the menu-it was loads of fun. Must go back often.
After our lunch we decided to check out the Top of the Rock, an observation deck on the top of the Rockefeller Center (66 floors!). It was really neat...and bright!
After we left the city, we headed straight to our friend's home for delicious homemade soup and desserts. We then joined 1,000 other people from the area to sing Christmas hymns gathered around the town Christmas tree. It was wonderful. We ended the night with homemade lemon poppy seed muffins, scrabble & stocking stuffing.


6 comments:
FUN!!!
How fun & what a great surprise! That little French place looks/sounds amazing, I will have to put it on my list of places to try!
It sounds like an awesome Christmas Eve...eve! Way to go Mac!
!!!!! this is the best!! JEALOUS! seriously, mckay is the cutest/sweetest! love every story. love the pic with the candle, i'm imagining the grinch at the beginning&end when they're holding hands singing. is that what it was like? well if not don't ruin it &tell me :) i love this all and you mostly a lot <3
What a cute/fun couple. All bundled up. And it made me smile that the show portrayed the nativity. Good for them!
Nicki, how fun. It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas Eve together. What a special first one it sounds like it was. I'm so happy for you! How awesome they did the Christmas story. Sounds like it was so special.
Post a Comment